Year 4 Pen Licence
As an incentive to encourage year 4 students to continue to improve the quality of their handwriting, they have the opportunity to earn a Pen Licence. Once a licence has been awarded, children are able to use a handwriting pen in class. Pen licences will be awarded when there is enough evidence of:
Pupils should be using joined handwriting throughout their independent writing tasks. Handwriting will be taught across the week with the aim of increasing the fluency with which pupils are able to write down what they want to say. This, in turn, will support their composition and spelling.
Spellings - Spellings will be handed out Friday ( 21.9.18) Your child will come home with a page of words. Any highlighted will indicate which words your child is not yet able to spell confidently, and we ask that you practise these words over the course of the year. How you do this is up to you, but here are a few suggestions.
1. Choose 5 words at time to focus on over the week using a 'Look, cover, write check' approach.
2. Choose 5 words at a time to try and write in different sentences across the week. This will really help the children understand the word and the contexts it can be used in.
3. Choose words, and challenge yourself to use them at different places within a sentence - start, middle and end. (Special toys are kept on the shelf. I love the special things you do for me. The letter is so special.)
4. Choose words and look up their meaning in the dictionary.
5. Write the words in interesting ways - turning them into pictures.
6. Write words and use dots and dashes to count the phonemes (sounds) E.g W eigh t = 3 sounds
7. Dictation - Adult reads the word in a sentence, and the child records the sentence.
8. 'Speed spell' See how many times you can write the word in 30 seconds. Challenge an adult!
I hope this gives you some fun alternatives to learning spellings.
Hello and welcome to Cherry class!
Thank you to everyone for being so welcoming to me during my first week at this wonderful school. I'm really looking forward to the learning journey ahead of us this year, and can't wait to get stuck into this half term's topic.
Here are a few things about myself - children, read carefully, as you never know when there may be a surprise quiz in class with Leos up for grabs!
Singing (All day long, much to everyones' annoyance!)
Spending time with family and friends
Brushing knots out of my children's hair
1 cat - Pinot
2 guinea pigs - Nibbles and Crunch
Crispy duck pancakes!
Favourite football teams:
Cough, cough...Aston Villa...cough, cough
Blowing bubbles out of my mouth using my own spit.....gross!!!
Now that you know a little more about me, I look forward to learning more about the children of Cherry class, and their families as we get to know each better over the coming weeks and months.
My door is always open if you need to talk!
Mini challenge Alert!!
Challenge: Can you find out 2 things about Brazil? Record it neatly on a small piece of paper and we'll add it to our classroom display.
Reward: 1 Leo up for grabs!
This term's topic is:
Leo in Rio!